PRESIDENT – ICA CRISTO REY ACADEMY
Who We Are
ICA Cristo Rey Academy is located in San Francisco, California and is part of the national Cristo Rey Network. Member schools use a rigorous academic model, supported by best practices in instruction and assessment, to prepare students with a broad range of intellectual abilities for college and life. Further, CRN schools employ an innovative Corporate Work Study Program that provides students with real world work experiences. In this highly unique model, every CRN student works an average of five days a month to fund the majority of her or his schooling, gain job experience, grow in self-confidence, and realize the relevance of this education. Students work in various corporate and business settings including law firms, banks, hospitals, universities, and with other professional organizations.
Like all Cristo Rey schools, ICA Cristo Rey is a Catholic, college preparatory high school for students of all faiths from families of limited financial means. The school is single-gender and serves girls of diverse backgrounds. We help our students grow intellectually, academically, emotionally, spiritually, socially, and morally. Our aspiration is that all our students graduate from high school and college and become the future leaders in our churches, institutions, businesses, nonprofits, and the community at large.
ICA Cristo Rey currently enjoys a strong faculty that teaches a solid curriculum designed to prepare the students for college, and it does that well. The administrative team needs a leader who will bring them together, knock down silos, and get everyone pointed in the same direction. The school’s finances are as strong as they could be for a school that serves a population that is near-penniless in one of the highest-rent cities in the world. The need for the next President to strengthen the finances is an absolute, non-negotiable priority. ICA Cristo Rey also needs to be better known than it is, so the President must be outward-facing and willing to “work the crowd” both in the neighborhood and in greater San Francisco.
Whom We Seek
We intend to recruit a skilled leader who is passionate about the Cristo Rey mission. The President will be the chief executive officer, having overall responsibility for the management of ICA Cristo Rey Academy. The President will lead the school in development, implementation, maintenance, and monitoring of an exceptional program that supports and promotes the school’s mission and values with special emphasis on the Corporate Work Study Program and the religious and spiritual orientation of the school. The President must be Catholic.
- Awareness of and commitment to the Catholic traditions of education, service and social justice, the credibility to lead and represent a Catholic organization with integrity, and facility for working well with diverse Catholic church leaders, lay and clerical.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills including proven ability to engage and inspire a wide range of stakeholders, build creative and mutually beneficial relationships within the philanthropic, corporate, public, and nonprofit sectors.
- Proven fundraising and/or revenue generating success, preferably in the non-profit sector and with foundations.
- Significant visionary leadership and management experience, with demonstrated success in addressing immediate organizational needs but driving toward longer-term goals with buy-in from all stakeholders.
- The executive presence to inspire organizational and professional confidence, passion and persistence in an ambitious, fast-paced, and results-oriented period of growth, all while maintaining a positive work environment.
- The maturity and wisdom required to optimize Board members’ engagement in the mission.
- Strategic planning experience and execution capabilities.
- Strong budget management skills.
- Preferably, previous experience in the education sector and/or the sensibilities and perspective necessary to validate her/his leadership in a school.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills, including evidence of enhancing an organization’s financial strength and sustainability.
- Unquestionable integrity.
- A Bachelor’s degree and, preferably, a graduate degree.
The President reports to the Board. This summary does not describe all job duties; a full job description is available upon request. This position will start on July 1, 2022.
If you have the requested background and a passion for the mission of this school, we invite you to apply. We require a completed employment application (attached) along with a cover letter explaining why you believe that you are a match for this unique opportunity to be instrumental in the leading a Cristo Rey high school. Please e-mail your resumé, employment application, and cover letter to Search Committee consultants Tom Hudnut and Debbie Reed. In addition, include a statement of your educational beliefs and your vision for ICA Cristo Rey High School.